Wednesday, October 21, 2009

What NOT to do while waiting...

It has been my good fortune that everything I've been asked for at work this week has been very easy to turn around. As a result, I had some free time today and I made the mistake of visiting the BSW and Gmatclub boards and browsing the interview & profile threads.

While I like the GMATClub boards quite a lot, and wish I'd spent more time on them during the app process, the BSW boards were riveting in the way a ten car pileup is - terrible, but you can't look away. I speak in particular about the 'DID YOU GET AN INTERVIEW? WHAT'S YOUR PROFILE? OH @#%#% HARVARD IS ONLY ACCEPTING X! I'M DOOOOOOMED" thread.

I'm more than a little surprised at the hysteria, insecurity, emotions, etc etc etc. I have not received an interview invite anywhere, but I'm not going to fret crazily about something beyond my control. I already know that by the end of February or so, I'll either be getting ready to attend, or moving on to my plan B. I found out this morning that a new consulting firm in my specific field just got created, so I'll be sure to network with the founder at an industry conference we're both attending in two weeks to inquire about their planned work.

I want to fast-forward this week, because my next three weeks are jam-packed. To kill the next two days, I could head up another self-started investigation and present on it to increase our extended organization's efficiency/knowledge in an area (already ran the idea by my manager) but I'm evaluating my level of enthusiasm, the time it would take, and the logical followups (most likely an official project not run by me) and as I've had no real break since May, I'm not *that* inspired to go back to running at 150%. Not just yet! ;) On the flipside, if my alternative becomes compulsively reading the hysteria threads... well, lets just say I've decided to keep myself productive for the rest of the week ;)

Best of luck to folks still going hard at their apps!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    While you are waiting for your round 1 update, I thought I'd send a quick not about $500 scholarship award for MBA applicants.

    Great blog, by the way, interesing posts.
    I just wanted to leave a quick comment about CohortX MBA applicant scholarship award that you and your users might find useful. [CohortX is a new MBA Applicant Community that just launched today!]

    CohortX (http://cohortx.com) is pleased to announce a monthly scholarship award program [i.e. different awards every month] for MBA applicants. Applications can be submitted by any MBA applicant, who is at least junior in college. Scholarship application consists of some basic applicant information and a 200-word essay. Essay question will be different every month.

    Application Month: November
    Award: $500 Cash


    In order to compete in CohortX Scholarship program, participation is required in the following two phases:

    1. Submission Period: Fill out the application form in its entirety during the application submission period.
    2. Voting Period : Upon successful submission of application, each applicant is given 5 votes. The applicant must submit all 5 votes to his/her favorite essays during the voting period.

    Only applicants and select members of the community are eligible to vote. U.S. and International candidates may apply for this award.


    Learn More: http://cohortx.com/scholarship/how-cohortx-scholarship-works/
    Apply: http://cohortx.com/scholarship/


    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at pranaya@cohortx.com

    Please help our efforts by letting your readers know about the scholarship. And, Goodluck to you!

    Regards,

    Pranaya Ghimire
    Founder, CohortX
    The Community for MBA Applicants
    http://cohortx.com

    ReplyDelete